I love keeping my kids in the kitchen having fun with me so this morning, before we even changed out of our pj’s we started baking and making fun stuff. Check out my Valentine’s Day ideas with kids!
1st we started with dipping some strawberries in white chocolate then added some Wilton funny eyes. I always like to keep a pack on hand because they can make anything fun and silly really fast! 2nd we make some plain sugar cookies and used a heart cookie cutter. We added Valentine’s sprinkles and Wilton pink candy melts for drizzle. Drille gives a “gourmet” look to just about anything and only takes seconds. You just melt them in the microwave add a little oil to keep them smooth, lay the cookies on Reynolds Parchment paper (to keep from sticking and making a mess) and then drizzle with a spoon.
Below is my recipe for chocolate sugar cookies but you can omit the chocolate if you like and just make plain sugar cookies too!
Chocolate Sugar Cookie Ingredients
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter, softened (I prefer Land O Lakes)
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 egg & 1 egg yolk
- 1square semi sweet baking chocolate
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients.
- Melt chocolate in pan over low heat then fold into dough (do not fix – fold into dough so you have the marbled look)
- Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls, and place onto ungreased cookie sheets. Or – roll out with rolling pin and use heart cookie cutter like I did above
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden. Let stand on cookie sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.
Be sure to use Reynold’s parchment paper so your cookies don’t stick!